It is the end of a fun summer. We kept busy pretty much the whole time. After we got back from our trip visiting family, we had a week to decompress. Then we had VBS (vacation bible school) at our church. I lead a group of kids around to the various activities. Alexander was in my group, so of course he was the one most difficult to keep under control. But we had a lot of fun. We followed Paul's 2nd missionary trip and wore togas on the last day.
I have some sad news. London, who had just turned 13 years old (91 in dog years), passed away earlier this month. He had not been doing well since the spring, but really declined fast the last week. The vet thinks he had cancer, so there was nothing we could do. The boys took his passing pretty well. They shed some tears, and then were happy that he was in heaven where he didn't have trouble walking or breathing anymore. Alexander even pictured Jesus bringing him up to heaven on a cloud. Here is the last picture I took of him, laying on Bob's back pillow in our room. He was such a handsome puppy!

Thankfully, we had already planned to go see the new Planes movie that same day. So, that kept all our minds occupied. After the movie, there was supposed to be a street party outside the theater (it's a really old theater downtown, my favorite place to see movies). But then it began to rain. We thought it would pass and hung out while a couple of guys played guitar and sang. But then it really rained. Alexander, and his friends began dancing and splashing in the rain. They were soaked, but had a good time.

Our church had a rally day festival (beginning of Sunday School) a couple of weeks ago. The major attraction was a whole hallway filled with refrigerator boxes made into a tunnel maze. The boys must have done it 20 times. They could go in the dark or with little lights. Bob even tried it once. The other big attraction was the ball toss to get a goldfish. Wouldn't you know it, Glenn won a fish. I didn't think I should put it in with our other fish, so I put him in this decanter than I never use anyway. I think he's my fish, now. Glenn named him Goldie, and says he's a boy. He sits on the counter in the kitchen.

We are back to school! They started the 19th. Alexander is in kindergarten and they had staggered start. So, he didn't go on Tuesday or Wednesday and was so excited to go back on Thursday. He has two friends from his old school where he went to preschool in his class. So, that made the transition even easier. Glenn is in 3rd grade! He also has some previous classmates in his class. We are thrilled with their teachers and they are loving it. Also, our school is part of a pilot program where all the students in the school get free breakfast and lunch (since over 40% would qualify for free lunch). This is a pilot to see if they will save money just letting everyone eat for free rather than having to process all the paper work to determine if families qualify. I am thrilled! That saves us 10 meals a week. They love it, too. We talk about what is being served and what choices they are going to make. So far, so good! I drop them off when they are first allowed to go into the cafeteria (7:15) and they get to eat breakfast together. I wish I could go in there and be a fly on the wall. :) Here's a picture of them on their first day.

Glenn's favorite animal is the zebra. He has slowly accumulated thing to decorate his room with the zebra motif. We finally got his zebra poster on his wall and since I just clean his sheets, his bed is made. So, I thought today was a good day to take pictures of his room.
In the first picture we have his big zebra poster, zebra bedding (including sheets), zebra back pillow, blue and zebra print pillow with his name (I didn't make it, a friend had it made for him), and of course, zebras. Oh yes, and a zebra rug.

I had made him a chalk board last year, but it was falling apart, so I fortified it with zebra duct tape. Notice also the zebra throw blanket (soooo soft).

And lastly, we have his desk. He has a zebra box, white organizer with zebra crates, zebra lamp, zebra slippers, and zebra trash can. You can't see the zebra pen and zebra light switch plate. :) He wanted me to take the duct tape and put the zebra print all around the top of his walls. Um, no. I don't think it would ever come off the wall.

I have gone back to teaching for Kaplan University online. I enjoy it more since I had a break. I just told my department chair that I'd like to teach two sections at a time. She was happy to hear and is going to try to get two sections with the same seminar time so I can teach both sections at the same time. Otherwise, I have to teach the same thing twice a week.
Bob has been working from home more since his new warehouse doesn't have air conditioning. So, we get to see more of him and he gets to pick up the boys with me. That's about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment