Sunday, July 21, 2013

Nebraska

Our last destination on our trip was North Platte, Nebraska. This is where I was born and my Grandmother (the boys call her Grammy), Aunt and Uncle live there. My grandmother turned 90 in April and is still living on her own. We love to hear her stories and spend time with her. We had not been there for three years, so we were due!

While in North Platte, we of course had to go to the Fort Cody Trading Post. It has a bunch of Western types of things and a bunch of junk, as well. Glenn got a necklace with a shark tooth (not Western at all) and Alexander bought some Civil War action figures (not Western, either). They enjoyed going in the back where they had a jail, covered wagons and a tee pee. But we didn't stay out there long as it was almost 100 degrees (later it broke 100 degrees).

I had planned on bringing them to A&W for root beer floats in a frosty mug (somewhere we went when I was younger), but was dismayed to find out it had been demolished for a large bank. Boo! So, we went to Cold Stone Creamery, which was not the same!

We went to Cody Go Karts with my parents. They came out a day after we made it there. The boys went on a little train that I thought went rather fast for something without seat belts, especially around the corners. We also went on bumper boats. Glenn went in his own and did extremely well; they are not easy to maneuver. Then we went on go karts. Glenn was with me and Alexander went with Nana. The first time Glenn and I passed them, Alexander said, "Hey, I knew we should have gone in a different kart." Then we passed them two more times. I told him later that I think it was the driver, not the kart. ;)

My uncle has a "monster truck." He brought it over for the boys to see. They were in awe and not only wanted to go in it but asked to go for a ride, which he happily obliged. 
 

Three years ago, I took a picture of the boys on these steps in front of a shack. So, I had to do it again. The lighting wasn't exactly good since it kept getting in Alexander's eyes, but Glenn really took great pictures. It's usually difficult to get a true smile from him. But today, he was all smiles!


We convince my grandmother to take some pictures. Here is my mom, grandmother and myself: three generations.

The Boys with Grammy
 




Grammy enjoyed Cubby!

Glenn has been writing a journal this summer. It's difficult for him to figure out what to write, but I wanted to share what he wrote about our trip to Nebraska:

My uncle brought over a monster truck. It looked like it was big and red. I had a ride on it. I went on a train, bumper boat, and go kart. I went on a bumper boat by myself. Mom and I go on the same go kart. We passed Nana a lot of times. Nana chose a slower one. Also, we came to Nebraska to see Grammy. We had breakfast with her. We played there a lot of times. We give her hugs to her. We love her every single day and night!

I love my sweet boy! 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jen Lastinger said...

I loved reading all about your trip! I showed Lily the pics! We miss you guys!