Monday, July 23, 2012

Southern Carribean Cruise Part 1

We just got back yesterday (Sunday) from a cruise. It was wonderfully relaxing! We went on the cruise with Bob's family (parents, two sisters and their families, and some of their other family and friends). It was so nice to spend quality time with them, since we don't see them often. We also got to know our niece and nephew's significant others. We left Saturday (July 14th)from Ft. Lauderdale. It was a little over a four hour drive from Ocala. We knew the boys were going to wake up before we were ready to get breakfast, so we had breakfast delivered to the room. They enjoyed that.
 
After breakfast, I brought the boys out to the pool. The pool was a bit colder than what we are used to at home (88 degrees at home), so they preferred the hot tub. There was a big chess set out by one pool. Both boys loved playing with it, moving pieces at random. Alexander is playing here, while we waited for Glenn to come down the water slide.
 
At the end of the first full day was captain's night, which was the first of two elegant dress nights. I loved getting a chance to wear a dress every night. Here's Bob's sister, Cindy, her husband, Ray, and two boys, Andrew and Danny. They were right across the hall from our room, which the boys loved.

 
And here we are in our elegant dress:

 
Alexander making one of many silly faces at dinner:

 
Alexander and Andrew:

 
If you have been on a cruise, you know that the room stewards make animals out of the towels each night. Our first animal was a dog.

 
On the second full day of our cruise, we came to our first port: Grand Turk. There was a cute bundle of buildings for shopping and a beautiful pool right at the port. We spent a little time at the pool and also on the beach, snorkeling. The fish were beautiful and fun to watch. Even Alexander got to see the fish using his goggles while his Aunt Kathy held him. Here's Alexander and Bob by the pool:

 

 
There was a cat that loved to sit under my chair. Here is Glenn peering at the cat.

 

 
Daddy and Glenn, by the parrot outside of the Margaritaville restaurant, which was next to the pool.

 
Glenn and Alexander spent quite a bit of time in Camp Carnival. Most of the time, they were in separate groups. They really enjoyed it and asked every day to go. It was nice for them to be able to play with kids their age (since their cousins are all older). Plus, we didn't bring any toys, so Camp Carnival was the only place there were toys. They did a lot of science in Glenn's group, which he loved. One day, Glenn got this pirate mask. He was scared of it and wanted to throw it away. But Alexander wanted it, maybe even more because it scared his brother.

 
Our next animal was a crab. Notice that in the background, Alexander's green bear, Scout, is wearing the pirate mask. This is also a good view of our room in the evening. You can see Glenn and Alexander's beds folded down just above our bed. I must have hit my head or back on them at least 20 times over the week.

 
Alexander making shifty eyes at breakfast.

 
Our second port was La Romania, Dominican Republic. It was recommended by Carnival and other people that you either take a shore excursion or stay on the ship because it's too dangerous to roam the city on your own. So, we opted to stay on the ship. Bob got a massage. The boys spent most of the day at Camp Carnival and I read in the shade. It was also nice because so many people were off the ship. I took some pictures of the coast. Some was beautiful, but right next to industrial buildings. Here's the beautiful point...

 
...not far from the big smoke stack. I had a nice view of the big smoke stack from where I was reading. Nice!

 
And here is what I assume is a commercial port, and train tracks for picking up what is delivered.

 
This house was opposite of the cruise ship port. I liked the rocks just below it. But I don't think I'd want to live or even stay there, especially with the industrial buildings right behind it.

 
Our animal this night was a duck. I snapped the picture just before Alexander pushed it's head off.


 
Posted by Picasa
I will continue with our adventure later.

No comments: